Extra Credits did a couple of great pieces talking about collectables design, discussing for example how Magic: the Gathering is brilliant and Rage of Bahamut is effectively ‘game design strip mining’ that threatens the public’s faith in F2P at the very core. Worth a view.
Tommy Palm gave more interesting data about Candy Crush:
- The game has been downloaded and installed half a billion times.
- 69% of UK fans play while commuting.
- 78% of US fans play while watching TV.
- Level 65 is the biggest cockblock level that forces players to spend.
- However, 60% of the players who reach level 455 have done so without spending.